Time: A precious commodity

Time is ever constant, ever passing and we never seem to have enough of it. But if we add up all those moments in the day where we throw away our time we might be surprised at what we are missing out on.


There are 86,400 seconds in a single day. What did you do with yours?

That extra half an hour we kept hitting the snooze button on our alarm this morning instead of just getting up = 1,800 seconds

The hour we spent channel hopping on the TV, too much of which was spent trying to figure out if the latest adventures of honey boo boo was reality or fiction.
= 3,600 seconds

The 20 minutes we surfed the net, checking out everyone else's facebook stats. (You know you do it)
= 1,200 seconds

 That is nearly 2 hours. It is not about wasting time or even saving time, but rather about being more concious of how we spend our time. You can take those hours and really use them. Read a book, go for a walk, start a new hobby, take up an evening class, write a letter or simply spend time with someone you love. Or watch Honey Boo Boo. But the point is to BE AWARE of how you are spending that time.


 In order to practice what I am preaching this is what I have done. 

Started going for a short 20 minute walk at lunch time listening to a Podcast and leaving my phone at my desk.

Taking the time to make myself a salad for lunch instead of eating another sandwich 

 On Sunday: 

 instead of lying in I arranged to go for a walk with a friend. 

I sat down and sorted through the giant pile of 'important things' that had piled up on my desk. Much of which ended up in the bin

I started a knitting project that has been sitting in my Craft basket for months.
And most importantly I stayed away from my laptop all day (a big time waster for me) 

---------------------------------------------------

 Start small, incorporating a small change into your daily routine until it becomes a habit.

Make plans for your days off, they can be as simple as trying out a new recipe, meeting a friend for coffee or taking a few hours to read a really good book. But make a plan and stick to it.

 xx V 

2 comments:

Sonya Kanelstrand said...

Lovely! I have been thinking about the importance of time and how it does have meaning only in relation to other beings. But time, of course, is not to be wasted. Spending it mindfully is a big jump ahead in being comfortable with who we are and with living a less stressful life. I love the changes you are implementing, especially the walk without a phone!

Vanessa said...

Hi Sonya,

Thanks for your comments. Lovely to hear from you. Yes, I definitely wanted to focus on being more mindful of how I spent my time! Thanks, Vanessa

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Receive emails about