The story of an EGG

A few days before Christmas Eve a very large box arrived in the post . Inside was my egg...


The poor thing was looking a bit pale so I gave it a good lick of paint...


To read more about the reasons behind my design  click here

For the next step in the process I immersed myself the art of gold leaf. (Sometimes quite literally, it gets everywhere!)


I prepped the area with the size (metal leaf adhesive). Due to the shape and sheer size of the area to be covered I worked in small sections.I wanted to create a patch work effect to the end look so each piece of leaf was cut into small sections before applying.


To read more about the reasons behind my design  click here



I had decided on a JM Barrie quote from Peter Pan for the quote. This quote was to wrap itself around the egg twice, in between the bands of Gold Leaf. Each letter was painstakingly cut from a vintage map of Dublin.


Just a small section of the map...


Next came the birds.




To help protect the surface I sealed it with a lacquer. Masks on people!


And the final piece


(above) No I didn't make 4 eggs, the wonders of photoshop, to demonstrate how the bands of gold and text wrap themselves around the egg. 


To read more about the reasons behind my design  click here


I hope you enjoyed this post, it took me a while to put it together!

Until next time. 

xx V  

To read more on the Jack and Jill Foundation
 please CLICK HERE 

And to read up on The Big Egg Hunt check out their website here 

No comments:

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Receive emails about