Breakfast at tiffanys take 50

Last night I went to see Breakfast at Tiffany's on the big screen. To celebrate its 50th anniversary the Lighthouse Cinema in Dublin are screening it, the last show is Wednesday (tomorrow) evening. I have of course seen it before but never up bold and beautiful in all of its glory. And it was fabulously 5 stars. The best part of it was my 'date' for the evening. I took my grandmother with me, and she could remember the first time she saw it, when it came out in 1961. 


Watching Audrey Hepburn charm her way across New York made me strangely nostalgic. An impossible nostalgia since I cannot claim to have been around the first time around. But nostalgic all the same; for a time when hats were worn not just at royal weddings, for evening gloves to the elbows and dresses to the floor.

All Hepburn's clothes in the film were designed by Hubert De Givenchy, the founder of the fashion house Givenchy. He dressed her for many of her most iconic roles.

I also noticed some other things that I'd never really picked up on before. The set pieces are to die for, take the upcycled bath that doubles as Holly's sofa


 And its appearance in the film inspired design company Reestore to produce  their own version (although I think I prefer the original)


I have a bit of a thing for vintage travelling cases, I think I can count 3 in my collection so far. So its not just Tiffany's fault that I'm now lusting after this set of vintage luggage from Etsy seller cashmerewhite. For 180$ its really not bad value and Etsy is a treasure trove for that kind of thing. The only hitch being (and understandably so) that they often don't post to Ireland for the bulkier items. Probably just as well for my bank balance.

So here's to; the mean reds, Fred Baby and the timeless Holly GoLightly.

No comments:

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Receive emails about