Storms art

'Album art is no bad thing... it is not enslaved to product, it is uncluttered by hyperbole, it makes few false claims and every now and then the designer can get away with blue murder'- Storm Thorgerson

 It seems a very long time ago now that I saw an exhibition in London featuring the album artwork of Storm Thorgerson. But like all really good things it stuck with me. (Don't you just love that his name is Storm). Thorgerson is probably most famous for his Pink Floyd album artwork and I personally think they are where some of his best work lies. But without further ado here are my top 10 favourite Storm album covers ...

#1 Biffy Clyro - Puzzle


#2 - Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
In the quote at the start of this post Thorgerson talks about how sometimes a designer can get away with blue murder and this cover is a perfect example of this. In the distance the building you see is Ely Cathedral and the statues are the real thing. There are no short cuts for this maestro.


 #3 - Pink Floyd - Tree of Half Life


#4 - Deepest Blue - Shooting Stars


#5 Pink Floyd - Delicate sound of Thunder


#6 - Umphrey McGee - The Bottom Half

 #7 - The Catherine Wheel - Gasoline


#8 - The Cranberries - Bury the Hatchet


#9 - Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon 
The spectrum of colour extends around the back cover and across the inside fold. This was intended to reflect the seguing of the tracks on the album itself.

And finally my favourite album cover is ...

#10 - Pink Floyd (I know again) - Ummagumma 1969

I love the picture within a picture within a picture. In each photograph the band members change position while the setting stays the same. The first time I saw this cover was on a record and it was only on seeing it in the exhibition that I really appreciated the cleverness of the design. I think the same can be said for a lot of my top picks. I'm really glad that I got to see them on a larger scale and since then I've been trawling second hand music stores for record covers, not for the music but for the artwork.

Wow this picking and choosing business is hard work.

Tomorrow, some Christmas cheer ...

No comments:

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Receive emails about