Tuesday loves ...good outdoor sculptures

Good outdoor sculptures and instillations are few and far between. All too often I find myself puzzling over the giant slab of granite? that some bank,museum or other such body with too much money and not enough sense, has deemed worthy of its money. Which is why I still get excited by the real deal.
One of my favourite pieces on show in Ireland is Barry Flanagans Hare in Kilmainham. Flanagan passed away in August of last year having made Ireland his home for most of his career.



Another sculptor who showed his work in Kilmainham back in 94 was Juan Munoz. I was yay high to a grass hopper at the time and I saw the work years later in Washington. But Im chuffed that Ireland had him first.
Last Conversation piece by Juan Munoz (acquired by Hirshhorn Museum in 1995)

My third piece to add to my list is by Barbara Hepworth.
 Spring (1966) sits in the Hepworth Museum in St. Ives
One of my favourite things about this piece is the story of how it was acquired by the museum. It was accepted by the British government in lieu of inheritance tax. And who said accountants have no taste.


No comments:

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Receive emails about